Anarkalli Jay -Miss Sri Lanka 2004

Age:17

Occupation: Actress
Height: 165

Anarkalli was born and raised in the capital Colombo, she is an only child of parents who are both in the film industry. Anarkalli started acting from the age of nine and has appeared in cinemascope movies and TV Dramas, she attended drama school and is now an Actress. Her ambition is to become an Ambassador for UNICEF. Her hobbies include: writing speeches, writing songs and designing clothes. Sporting interest are: Netball, basketball, cricket, croquet, bowling, pool, athletics, Western dancing and Kandyan Dancing. Her personal motto is "Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else".


Where did you grow up?

Tell us a little about your home town/city, and family.
I was born and raised in the capital of Sri Lanka Colombo. I am an only child and my parents are both in the film industry.

What Jobs have you done?
What was the most interesting/bizarre?
As an actress the most interesting and different thing I have done is TV Presenting for Sports Giants ESPN during the Asia Cup 2004, which was held in Sri Lanka.

What are your career ambitions, how do you plan to realise them?
I want to be an ambassador for UNICEF and I plan to use my national title to accomplish the ambition.

What is the proudest moment of your life?
(Not including winning your National Title) The proudest moment of my life was when my first cinemascope movie was released.
What was the funniest/most embarrassing moment of your life?
The funniest moment of my life was when I was in a rush to go out I accidentally put on two different coloured shoes and went out. Luckily the shoes were the same style and design so when people asked me about my shoes I just said that It was a fashion statement.
What was the funniest/most embarrassing moment of your life?
After winning Miss Sri Lanka 2004 my life has changed as I can do a greater service for the world using my title.

Tell us about an interesting event you have attended, or a person that you have met.
The most interesting event I have attended is a charity auction in London to raise money for cancer patients in Sri Lanka. British celebrities Apache Indian and Shola Ama also attended.

What would you like to do, if you became Miss World 2004?
If I become Miss World 2004, I would like to campaign for crime against children. I believe that these children are in great need of protection as we are in a world today, which is under-going, a very abnormal increase in crime. These children need saving, as they are our future.

If you had a personal motto what would it be?
Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.
Give details of any charitable work undertaken?
Raising funds for Children’s Ward Cancer Hospital Maharagama, Sri Lanka (2000 - 2002).
Collecting books, clothes etc for orphans and the poor (every year).
Charity auction in London for Cancer patients in Sri Lanka (2002).
Collecting food and drink together with leading newspaper publishers. ‘Lakehouse’ for people who are suffering from drought - relief (2004).